1 Communications Advisor-IPLC Forest Facility
Type of contract
2-year fixed-term contract linked to the program
IFF National Coordinator
Place of work
Kinshasa with several field trips as needed.
The destruction of the world’s tropical forests is one of the greatest environmental catastrophes of our time. Every year, 130,000 square kilometers of tropical forests are lost. Rainforest Foundation Norway is one of Europe’s leading non-governmental organizations working to protect these forests and strengthen the rights of indigenous peoples. We work with over 70 indigenous and environmental organizations in 11 countries in Southeast Asia, Central Africa and the Amazon. Further information at: https://www.regnskog.no/en/
In the DRC, RFN is supporting the establishment of the IPLC Forest Facility, a mechanism dedicated to mobilizing and channelling funding to local and indigenous communities living in high-integrity forests.
Rainforest Foundation Norway (RFN) has 1 vacancy for a Communication Advisor for our IFF program in the DRC. Working languages are English, French, Lingala and Swahili.
We are looking for someone who can cooperate well both with our partner organizations and with our team in Kinshasa. The successful candidate should also be methodical, efficient and willing to work independently.
The Communications Advisor is responsible for
- Develop communication plans in line with IFF key indicators and content customization;
- Monitor and report on strategic IFF communications objectives;
- In collaboration with RFN’s communications department, manage all IFF visual and written content: copywriting/editing and supervision of graphic design and all creative work, e.g. flyers, banners, videos, etc. ;
- Ensure IFF visibility on all project publications, in accordance with existing guidelines;
- In the case of public events organized by IFF, oversee media relations, including contacts with journalists, interviews and event coverage;
- Follow the project on social networks and traditional media, and if necessary, report information to IFF coordination;
- Prepare and distribute media presentations and press releases;
- Produce newsletters and success stories for IFF.
The Communications Consultant will plan, produce and publish, in cooperation with the rest of the IFF team, high quality content on channels relevant to the audience and meet deadlines in accordance with the IFF team’s plans and strategies. As such, he/she will :
- Participate in the continuous improvement of the communication plan according to the results obtained and expected.
- Produce media and content related to IFF communications, and ensure that they are kept up to date (purchase of advertising space, social network feeds, etc.).
- In consultation with the IFF team, develop and deliver public relations and communications products, activities and services to engage the public, partners and stakeholders (content, interviews, photos, graphic material, etc.) to promote and ensure the visibility of the IFF.
- Ensure the promotion and visibility of IFF activities by writing articles, photographing activities; interviewing stakeholders and in particular local communities and indigenous pygmy peoples who are IFF bearers;
- Coordinate, write and edit articles, opinion pieces, interviews, articles related to IFF implementation;
Publication and outreach:
The communication advisor is responsible for the operation and la publication du content in the relevant channels for broadcasting.
- Publish content on website and relevant social media channels
- Effectuer le suivi et l’analyse du trafic et de l’engagement, et mettre en œuvre des mesures d’optimisation.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Strong communication and/or journalistic skills
- Basic knowledge of the environmental sector, particularly forest management;
- A “good pen” and a demonstrated ability to write engaging content;
- Advanced collaborative skills; strong ability to develop quality content drawing on internal and external resources and expertise;
- Technical, monitoring and publishing skills for websites and social media;
- Strong ability to make external and internal presentations, including the use of visual aids;
- Fluency in French, both spoken and written, is mandatory; fluency in Lingala and Swahili, both spoken and written, is mandatory; fluency in English, both spoken and written, is desirable;
- Mastery of various writing and document presentation techniques (journalistic style, web writing, social network writing, etc.);
- Mastery of the main office software packages, notably word processing and presentation software (Office pack, OpenOffice suite…) and online publishing tools;
- Good working knowledge of the main publishing tools and up-to-date guidelines for adapting content to the relevant channel.
The Communications Consultant communicates and collaborates closely with:
- IFF national coordination and provincial focal points;
- Le conseil national de l IFF ainsi que les conseils provinciaux consultatifs ;
- Civil society organizations representing local communities and indigenous peoples in IFF areas of intervention;
- Local communities and indigenous peoples who are IFF holders;
- State authorities and others involved in community forest conservation in the DRC.
- Produce content for social media, including basic photo editing and IFF-related video production;
- Support the development and facilitation of concept development
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Listening to and anticipating needs
- Writing skills
- Creativity and a taste for innovation
- Dynamism and stress resistance
- Organization and ability to prioritize
- Ability to work on several projects in parallel
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Ability to develop a network of contacts
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Formal education in communications or journalism (minimum bachelor’s degree). Formal education may be compensated by relevant experience.
- Documented professional experience in the communications sector
- At least 5 years’ experience in the production of communication content (digital, audiovisual, etc.), including at least 2 years with an international non-governmental organization.
- Proven experience in the production and dissemination of awareness-raising campaigns for local communities and indigenous Pygmy peoples.
Exciting, dynamic and meaningful work
Competent and pleasant colleagues in a work environment characterized by diversity, generosity and a good sense of humor.
How to apply
- Other documents (e.g. diplomas and certificates of services rendered) will be requested ONLY from those selected for the position.
- The application must be completed and submitted no later than 09/25/2023 by clicking the “apply for this job”-button.
- The signing of the contract with Rainforest Foundation Norway is conditional on receipt of three satisfactory professional references.
- Only successful applicants will be contacted by telephone.
- Rainforest Norvege does not charge a fee for submitting or processing applications.
- Applications from women are encouraged.