Crisis Response Coordinator – DRC
- Goma, DRC
- time type
- Full time
- posted on
- Posted Yesterday
- job requisition id
- Requisition – 2023200438
The humanitarian needs in Eastern DRC continue to escalate due to significant instability and vulnerability of the population in North Kivu and Ituri Provinces. In response to the crisis, FHI 360 will implement an integrated program that provides life-saving and sustainable activities under health and protection that will meet the critical needs of internally displaced persons and affected communities.
FHI 360 is seeking a Response Coordinator to lead the humanitarian response efforts in Eastern DRC. The Response Coordinator is responsible for the overall leadership and management of all aspects of the project, including the overseeing programs, operations, security, financial and administrative properties to achieve the project’s objectives and ensure timely delivery of the program. The Response Coordinator will establish and maintain relationships with government official at the national, provincial, and local levels. They will also represent FHI 360 to donors, partners, and other local and international stakeholders. Serving as the head of mission, the position will manage personnel, build capacity of direct reports, and ensure that the program meets its target on time, budget, and scope.
Based in Goma, this duty station has been designated as high risk and poses a heightened risk or direct threat to personal safety. The position will travel to extreme risk locations throughout DRC. Applicants should research this location and the associated risks before submitting an application. For international staff based in Goma, FHI 360 provides a competitive salary, premium pay allowance, accommodation, relocation, and regular R&R rotations. This position is envisioned for 24 months.
- The Response Coordinator is ultimately responsible for meeting the project’s deliverables throughout the lifetime of the project.
- Assume overall responsibility for all aspects of the humanitarian response including management of programs, personnel, logistics, security, business development, external representation, and transition planning.
- Provide direct technical input in the development and dissemination of tools, protocols, and interventions for programmatic activities.
- Lead the refinement of program implementation to identify areas for improvement and propose appropriate technical strategy and guidance.
- Oversee quality and consistency of programs through on-site monitoring to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality.
- Design and develop response and/or regional strategy for expansion of programmatic activities. With the support of the Deputy Response Coordinator for Programs, lead and coordinate the various sectors to ensure achievement of project objectives and the realignment of program activities as needed.
- Represent FHI 360 and the project as the most senior member of the in-country team to external stakeholders.
- Manage relationships with host country governments, NGO counterparts and other external stakeholders.
- Develop strong working relationships with contacts in the host government and the donor community through both formal and informal channels.
- Advocate with and/or advise peer agencies, local governments, donors, and other stakeholders to influence responses to promote delivery of inclusive and high-quality humanitarian services.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with FHI 360 policy, procedures, and practices throughout the program; recommend country or emergency specific policy/procedures as required.
- Coordinate with country office and Headquarters (HQ) to troubleshoot any issues; make recommendations for corrective actions.
- Provides leadership and team building.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge and application of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) and Sphere standards and Red Cross/NGO Code of Conduct.
- Experience working with Bureau of Humanitarian Assistance (BHA),
- Strong interpersonal skills and display evidence of good leadership and influencing skills.
- Ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff and clients.
- English and French fluency required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and be comfortable participating both as an effective contributor and a listener in group settings which include senior staff.
- Well-organized, resourceful, effective, and efficient at coordinating multiple resources to get things done and must have proven track record of successfully working on multiple tasks at once and foresees and plan around obstacles.
- Demonstrated sensitivity in diverse, cross cultural settings.
- Demonstrated experience in multi-sector project management and implementation.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of complex scope that require analysis and in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Erroneous decisions or recommendations may cause critical delays or modifications to projects or operations.
- Ability to exercise judgment that contributes to the organization’s business strategies and develops objectives that align with department’s strategic goals.
- Must be able to provide accurate, expert level advice to reach outcomes that will enable achievement of overall department and organization goals.
- Demonstrates a responsive, professional attitude that is solution oriented.
- Decisions and actions have a serious impact on the overall success of the function.
- Regularly interacts with senior management and HQ based staff.
- Leads by “managing managers” or other direct/indirect reports in the region/functional area.
- Ability to motivate, mentor, and empower individuals to achieve expectations and goals set for the functional unit.
- Provide input on country/project staff performance reviews.
- Reports to the Technical Director, Crisis Response.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Economics, Education, Environment, Health, Human Development, Information Science, International Development, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- Master or other advanced degree preferred.
- Certification in project management preferred.
- Typically requires 5-8 years leading complex on-site emergency response projects and/or programs.
- Experience establishing startup operations/projects in new countries preferred.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company of progressive program management experience in humanitarian assistance or related industry experience in a relevant technical area.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5 – 50 lbs.
- Ability to travel to remote field site locations that lack basic essentials.
- Candidate must be in good physical condition and understand that medical care is not readily available at duty station.
Technology to be Used:
- Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail), office telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.
- 50% throughout DRC
** Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience sufficient to successfully perform the key responsibilities of the job.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
You must log in to post a comment.