Head of Accounting Cordaid DRC
- Organization: Cordaid – Catholic Organisation for Relief and Development Aid
- Location: Kinshasa
- Grade: Senior
- Occupational Groups:
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2022-11-02
Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for just and sustainable societies where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion divide societies, we connect people and communities. We stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders. We aim at maximizing our social impact and contributing to systemic change. We operate where natural disasters strike, where conflicts tear up communities and where lack of opportunities and service delivery keep families in extreme poverty.
Cordaid is an internationally operating value-based emergency relief and development organisation, working in and on fragility.
Cordaid is a member of the international Catholic networks Caritas and CIDSE and we are active in worldwide civil society networks. We work in around 20 countries in Africa, Middle East and Asia.
For the Cordaid Country Office in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Cordaid is looking for a
Head of Accounting
Cordaid has a long history working in DRC a country affected by war and conflicts for decades.
Cordaid is currently working in the following sectors: Health, Education and Security & Justice. We have a main office in Kinshasa, a coordination office for Eastern DRC in Goma and other offices in Bukavu, Bunia, Gemena, Kananga and Uvira. We are working in 24 of out of the 26 provinces.
Under the direct supervision of the Sr. Financial Manager of the HIV/TB & COVID19 Grant Project in the DRC, the Head of Accounting is responsible for ensuring the sound financial and administrative management of the provincial offices as well as the Sub-Recipient Partners (SRs). He supervises a direct team of accountants and technically supervises the provincial finance team.
As such, the role consists of:
- Supervision of accounting operations for Cordaid and its partners within the framework of the FM HIV-TB-COVID 19 project.
- Verification and approval of accounting documents justifying expenditure by Cordaid or its partners.
- Verification and approval of compliance of documents required for payments (staff, partners, suppliers).
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations on all Cordaid and partner bank accounts.
- Update the balance of suppliers and customers monthly; provide aged open advances for FM staff and partners.
- Ensure the completeness of the accounting elements required by the head office within the framework of the periodic closures; always close the month on time.
- Coordinate the digitization and archiving of accounting documents and other financial documents according to a logical nomenclature.
- Responsible for the accuracy of accounting data in the AX software (Microsoft Dynamics).
- Execution of accounting operations in the AX software (Microsoft Dynamics).
- Strengthen the P2P (procure-to-pay) system; ensure the fluidity and compliance of said system (transparency and efficiency).
- Management of the accounting team (SRs and UGPR); team training and development.
Financial and Cash Management
- Monthly validation of bank reconciliation statements on all grant accounts;
- Quarterly update (T+25) at the level of the main office of all the accounting and financial data of the implementing partners and Provincial Offices in the financial systems (AX and TOMPRO);
- Monthly consolidation (M+25) of accounting checklists of the Provincial Offices and follow-up.
- Per semester, (S+15) ensure explanation and cross-analysis of Partners’ balances.
- Monthly analysis (M+15) of financial reports from provincial offices and implementing partners.
- Ensure up-to-date mapping between AX and TOMPRO.
- Share the expenditure reports and the feedback from this analysis and systematically record the validated elements in AX/TOM2PRO.
- He/She is the focal point for bookkeeping on all accounts reported in the financial systems.
- Validation of the account coding (ensuring that all transactions descriptions are clear and logical) monthly (M+15) and all the financial analysis of the provincial offices and the Partners.
- Monthly analysis (M+15) the quality of the accounting and financial data reported in TOM2PRO/AX offline and monitor it.
- Prepare monthly financial statements of the grant.
Other (Audits, Analysis of accounting data, reporting)
- Ensure timely collection and preparation of the documentation required by the audit/control missions in relation to the principal recipient, implementation partners and the provincial offices.
- Provide auditors/controllers with clarifications as needed on certain issues related to the management of the principal recipient, implementation partners and the provincial offices.
- Carry out monitoring and support missions to provincial offices and implementing partners as required.
- Ensure the timely filing of accounting documents for the principal recipient, implementation partners and the provincial offices after audit and control missions.
- Establish a system of supervision, verification and validation of accounting data reported by the SRs and other partners and ensure its effectiveness;
- Ensure a reasonable level of independence of the financial controller appointed to each SR and set up a system to review their work.
- Obtain systematically and monthly (M+5) the bank statements and bank reconciliation statements of each SR and verify them. This verification should be documented and recorded for review by the external auditors, LFA/FM.
- Provide feedback to the Financial Controllers and/or SR on deficiencies/observations noted and then recommendations for improvement. For cases of fraud, misappropriation, mismanagement and/or any deficiencies that call into question the reliability of accounting data, immediately inform the hierarchy by copying the Country Director.
Ensure training and post-training for the finance staff of the principal recipient, implementing partners and provincial offices on administrative and financial management procedures.
The head of accounting:
Commits to respecting all Cordaid policies, including but not limited to the Code of Conduct policy; these include:
- Security and Safety Policy.
- Integrity Framework.
- Code of Conduct for staff and partners.
- Backup policy.
- Conflict of interest.
- Policy on fraud (corruption/Anti-corruption, embezzlement of goods and funds).
- Anti-terrorism and money laundering policy.
- Whistle-blower protection policy.
Undertakes to ensure the optimal implementation of these Policies in his/her work environment.
Is available/flexible to carry out any other ad hoc task deemed useful by his direct supervisor or by Cordaid.
III. Performance assessment
The head of accounting will be technically evaluated at the end of each year by his/her line supervisor in accordance with his/her Terms of Reference.
IV. Candidate profile
- University degree in accounting or finance.
- A certification in accounting is required (CPA, ACCA, CIAEW, ACA or equivalent).
- Professional experience of at least 8 years, including at least 2 in a similar position.
- Work experience in international NGOs.
- Strong capabilities for analyzing and summarizing situations and the ability to find solutions.
- Ability to work under the constraint of deadlines and results by showing initiative, dynamism, and pro-activity.
- An aptitude and interest in working in a team in a multicultural environment.
- Strong written and oral expression skills and real ability to formulate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the various implementation partners involved.
- Open-mindedness and willingness to demonstrate adaptability and flexibility in relations with team members.
- Willingness to transmit knowledge as part of a skills transfer framework.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and to coordinate the activities of a working group.
- Good computer skills (MS-Office: Windows, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Having already worked with the following tools would be a plus: AX (Microsoft Dynamics), TOMPRO, Power BI)
- Perfect knowledge and mastery of NGO procedures in terms of management, finance and acquisition of goods and services.
- Be able to work under pressure while maintaining composure.
- Ability to plan and organize tasks.
- Fluency of French is a pre-requisite; having the ability to communicate (written and spoken) in English is also a pre-requisite to interact effectively with Cordaid’s Global office and colleagues in other Country Offices.
V. Package and working conditions
Cordaid offers a competitive salary with attractive secondary conditions for expats and locals. This post is a family post.
VI. Specifics of duty station
The Head of Accounting will be based in the Cordaid country office in Kinshasa. This is an expat position.
VII. Contract information
The contract period is for 12 months starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend. We offer a Cordaid contract with a competitive salary and a benefit package which includes a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution, a holiday allowance, 13th month, hardship allowance and cost of living allowance.
VIII. Further information & how to apply
Applications including a motivation letter (express your interest in the advertised position and briefly illustrate how you meet the criteria described above (based on your experience))and extensive CV in English, including the contact details of at least three professional references (e-mail, address, telephone number), should be forwarded on attn. of Alexander Davey until 1 November 2022 at 17:00 CET**.**
Further elements may be requested from the pre-selected candidates upon request from Cordaid. Failure to provide these documents may lead to the termination of the recruitment process or the contract.
Applications received past this date will unfortunately not be considered. Only the candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted either by telephone or email.
If applicable, a written test may be required, and it will be administered based on the candidate’s current location.
Please note that we accept applications through our website only: https://www.cordaid.org/en/vacancies/international/?cd_job_id=239102
For shortlisted candidates, the selection procedure may include a written test, several interviews and verification of the references provided.
Cordaid is fully committed to a safe working environment and the highest integrity standards. To read more on our commitment to Integrity, click here:
An integrity screening will be part of this application procedure.
An assessment and / or a presentation of a “case study” can be part of the selection procedure.
For more information about Cordaid, please visit our website: www.cordaid.org.
Acquisition regarding this vacancy is not appreciated.
You must log in to post a comment.