1 Financial Advisor -IPLC Forest Facility (IFF)
Type of contract
2-year fixed-term contract linked to the program
IFF National Coordinator
Place of work
Kinshasa with several field trips as needed.
The destruction of the world’s tropical forests is one of the greatest environmental catastrophes of our time. Every year, 130,000 square kilometers of tropical forests are lost. Rainforest Foundation Norway is one of Europe’s leading non-governmental organizations working to protect these forests and strengthen the rights of indigenous peoples. We work with over 70 indigenous and environmental organizations in 11 countries in Southeast Asia, Central Africa and the Amazon. Further information at: https://www.regnskog.no/en/
In the DRC, RFN is supporting the establishment of the IPLC Forest Facility, a mechanism dedicated to mobilizing and channelling funding to local and indigenous communities living in high-integrity forests.
Rainforest Foundation Norway (RFN) has 1 vacancy for a Financial Advisor for our IFF program in the DRC. Working languages are English, French, Lingala and Swahili.
We are looking for someone able to cooperate well both with our partner organizations and with our team in Kinshasa. The successful candidate should also be methodical, efficient and willing to work independently.
The Financial Advisor is responsible for
Financial management :
- Design/adapt a flexible, fast, efficient and secure system for the provision of small grants to IFF-supported Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities (IPLCs), with a particular focus on financial due diligence.
- In accordance with the IFF procedures manual, design/adapt management tools for the various stages of the small grants management process for IFF-supported PACLsMonitor the systems and tools designed/implemented and adapt them in line with lessons learned, with a view to making them better suited to IFF operations and objectives.
- Contribute to the reflection and implementation of the financial aspects of the exit strategy of the IFF project at the end of the program (establishment of a Trust Fund)Ensure perfect supervision of grants provided to PACLs and reconcile accounts.
- Ensure payment of services contracted by IFF in compliance with RFN policy.
- Identify financial risks and develop and implement mitigation strategies. Update this tool regularly.
- Set up a simple and effective tool for monitoring the IFF budget and its regular implementation. Ensure regular sharing of this tool with the IFF team and country coordination.
- Organize archiving by setting up an easy and adequate filing system for all IFF financial operations. Ensure the correct and adequate encoding of financial transactions, oriented to produce auditable, available and reliable data in compliance with RFN and WCS procedures.
- Prepare and support the audit process
Partner capacity building,
- In coordination with PACL focal points and the IFF Manager, carry out a capacity-building needs assessment of PACLs and IFF implementing partners on financial management,
- In coordination with PACL focal points/implementing partners and the IFF Manager, develop a capacity-building plan for IFF-supported communities.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to the financial managers of IFF-supported PACLs/implementing partners in order to meet the requirements of the IFF procedures manual.
- Ensure financial supervision of PACLs/implementing partners in close collaboration with PACL focal points.
- Check financial reports produced and received from IPLCs and implementing partners, explaining any deviations, following the reporting formats described in the IFF procedures manual.
- In collaboration with the IFF Manager and focal points, prepare written feedback on reports received from IPLCs and implementing partners, and submit them to the s RFN Country Representative for appraisal prior to transmission to the relevant IPLCs.
- The list of main responsibilities is not exhaustive. Other tasks and responsibilities may be added, including tasks outside the described area of responsibility.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Good knowledge of cooperation with Congolese civil society and PACL.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in French and Lingala/Swahili. Fluency in professional English is an asset for this position.
- Experience of financial work within different organizations of various kinds, giving knowledge of different financial systems with varying degrees of rigor.
- Rigor, creativity and adaptability.
- Initiative, experience of financial risk management.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- University degree (Bac+5) in financial management and/or significant field experience in financial control and/or financial management of grants.
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in financial and administrative management, planning and internal control of development projects and programs;
- At least 5 years’ in-depth knowledge and professional experience in accounting and accounting software.
Exciting, dynamic and meaningful work
Competent and pleasant colleagues in a work environment characterized by diversity, generosity and a good sense of humor.
How to apply
- Other documents (e.g. diplomas and certificates of services rendered) will be requested ONLY from those selected for the position.
- The application must be completed and submitted no later than 09/25/2023 by clicking the “apply for this job”-button.
- The signing of the contract with Rainforest Foundation Norway is conditional on receipt of three satisfactory professional references.
- Only successful applicants will be contacted by telephone.
- Rainforest Norvege does not charge a fee for submitting or processing applications.
- Applications from women are encouraged.