Interim Director of Finance, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)
Reports To: DRC Country Director
Direct Reports: DRC Finance Staff
The interim Director of Finance is responsible for management of the financial systems and staff, financial reporting to the Central Africa Regional and New York HQ offices and donors, monitoring and compliance of internal controls, conducting/coordinating financial reviews of project sites, and cash management.
Based in Goma, there will be frequent travel to field sites in eastern DRC to support the field-based finance teams and review financial documentation. This position reports to the DRC Country Director.
Financial Management and Compliance
- Responsible for financial management and timely accounting for the WCS DRC Program
- Responsible for grant compliance from the financial proposal thru the closure stage.
- Ensure all project financial activities are in compliance with donor and WCS requirements
- Responsible for monthly close of accounting including balance sheet reconciliations and required reporting to the Regional Controller
- Work with the DRC Grant Manager, project managers and field-based finance staff to generate donor financial reports accurately and on time
- Monitor bank transfers, banking activities, advances and expenditures in coordination with WCS-NY.
- Management of in-country revenue sources and receivables.
- Budget review and financial management of sub grantees. Assess and monitor sub grantees in coordination with the Project Manager and DRC Grants Manager.
- Produce regular and adequate indicators to Senior Managers (Deputy Country Director, Project Managers) to ensure and monitor the financial health of the program.
- Ensure cash flow management of the program
Internal Control and Audits
- Coordinate and supervise local audits relating to accounting including donors and institutional audit, tax, and labor matters as well as promote internal audits in coordination with Regional Controller, in order to determine the legality and veracity of the accounts of WCS DRC
- Assess and mitigate the financial risks of the mission, ensure that reliable internal control systems are in place, and financial ethics is respected within the mission
- Ensure proper implementation and respect of relevant policies and guidelines, design or adapt relevant local policies, procedures and tools for optimized management of the mission financial and human resources and awareness of realities of the context.
- Responsible for training and managing finance staff for the DRC Program.