Requisition ID: req31596
Job Title: IT Manager
Sector: Information Technology
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The Information Technology department supports the organization’s work by providing reliable and scalable application development and infrastructure for the IRC’s offices in the US and around the world, including many technologically challenging locations. The IT Manager will report to the DDO and will be primarily responsible for managing the installation and configuration of IT infrastructure/systems, staff training and operations of IT activities in IRC Kenya CP. The IT Manager will assist to recruit and lead the IT Officer and will work closely with the DDO, Regional IT Director and all program sectors to ensure proper ICT functioning and support together with responding to new operational requirements.
Technology, Policy, and Projects:
- Champion business relationship management within country departments and drive the IT strategy for adoption.
- Advise country program(s) of the technology available to help accomplish their tasks and goals and help them develop a technology implementation plan inclusive of system design and staff training.
- Lead on country program information technology data driven platforms to ensure best available services, infrastructure, and accountability actions from our stakeholders.
- Support our ERP solution on Dynamic 365 and provide level 1 and Level 2 support where required
- Ensure implementing IT policy and best practice guides for the users.
- Running and sharing regular operation system reports with senior staff, while training coaching and mentoring the new IT officer on relevant topics to help onboarding.
- Manage and supervise IT Projects in the country program(s) to ensure the success and functionality of the solutions.
- IT consultation for the departments and programs when they work on new technology related project.
- Provide technical support and guidance for on-going IT projects in the country program.
- Support other departments in digitization of the available processes ICT4D to increase efficiency and enable program quality.
- Facilitate office openings and relocation within IRC IT SOP guidelines.
IT Support – Provide Level 1 and Level 2 Support:
- Provide oversight of IT support structure in the country program.
- Work with end-users and IT colleagues (or Service Desk) on resolving Level 1 issues.
- Resolve or escalate Level 2 and Level 3 issues to appropriate internal or external resource (regional/global IT, management, vendor) as necessary.
- Diagnose hardware and software faults by questioning clients patiently about a problem and explaining the procedures to them.
- Provide IT input into all relevant supplier contracts (e.g. data communications, payroll, mobile phones and printing). This is a combination of providing technical advice to ensure that all products and services are of sufficient and appropriate quality together with bringing knowledge and experience of the market for these items.
Installation & Configuration of:
- Instruct, guide and supervise the IT team to ensure proper installation and configuration of:
- Servers, Windows Server operating system, Domain and essential network services.
- Desktop/laptop hardware and software, and peripherals.
- IRC standard system image, Windows 7/10 operating system, Microsoft office & Outlook
- Local Area Network, wireless network, Layer 7 devices, Firewalls, network storage, essential network services peer-to-peer or client server architecture, as appropriate.
- Plan/Implement/Manage IT infrastructure/systems standards across all Sudan offices.
Maintenance, Repair & Security:
- Perform preventative maintenance on all IRC computers and network resources.
- Develop appropriate protocols for regular maintenance of all IRC laptops, desktop computer photocopiers, printers, and other IT communication related equipment.
- Implement and manage backup solutions for office/individual users as per IRC IT recommendations and provide the necessary training on the use of these back-up solutions. (BOX)
- Update appropriate network security and data loss prevention procedures to safeguard system from physical harm, viruses, unauthorized users and damage to data.
- Create and maintain network documentation to include but not limited to IP address, system access, upgrades and changes to original network, etc.
- Closely collaborate with Regional and HQ IT teams on helpdesk, connectivity and other in country and global IRC IT projects.
- Investigate local Internet connectivity options to connect CP offices thru VPNs and obtain adequate bandwidth for Intranet and application connectivity.
- Any other IT related tasks assigned by the supervisor or Regional/HQ IT teams to accomplish the overall organizational goals.
Training, Evaluation, & Testing:
- Develop and implement user and support local staff training, including training on basic care and maintenance of computers and equipment for users.
- Test and evaluate new technology as required by Regional and HQ IT.
- Prepare and submit regular reports that provide sufficient detail for HQ to understand the country office’s computer environment, needs, IT staff availability and skill levels and future plans.
IT Asset Management, IT Budget:
- Perform annual IT Audit for Kenya offices as directed by Regional/Global IT or CP leadership
- Work with SC Asset Admin to and maintain IRC computer software/hardware inventory ensuring accuracy.
- Maintain an updated IT Registry, including software & licenses.
- Identify through tender process, as per standard IRC policies and procedures, local supply chain for IRC IT requirements
- Participate in the annual budget planning and ensure allocation for the necessary IT investments to acquire the required infrastructure that corresponds to the business needs
IT Staff supervision and development:
- Provide technical supervision for IT Staff in field offices by on-the-job training and coaching to promote harmonized program approaches and strategies.
- Coordinate and delegate IT tasks and activities between IT team members in CP as required.
- Assist direct supervisors of the IT staff in identifying professional development needs and opportunities.
- Building IT team capacity by providing the needed IT technical training & assistance.
- Recruitment of all IT staff in the country program(s) including defining job descriptions and testing criteria.
- Set and review performance goals for IT team members across and ensure for IT staff (direct & indirect reports) that they are regularly reviewed and met.
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong supervisory and follow-up skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Self-driven work ethic
- Team spirit and problem-solving abilities.
- High sense of urgency
- College Degree in Computer Science or equivalent technical work experience.
- ITIL certification
- Agile project management skills
- ERP deployment and skills on Support, adoption and Usage
- CCNA course desired, MCSE or equivalent experience is required.
- At least five years of experience in IT profession
- Experience installing, configuring, and managing both wired and wireless LAN, and firewalls.
- Experience in managing small/medium IT projects and office moves.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Customer/Client service experience
- Prioritization and time management skills.
- Collaborative leadership skills, strategic thinking and working through others.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.