IT Operations Officer P4 – Port-au-Prince, Haiti (171353)
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Are you an experience IT Operations professional interested in further developing your professional experience while contributing to ending global hunger? Are you passionate about helping those in need? Would you like to join a global organization investing in its people?
If so, an exciting & fulfilling career awaits you! Join our diverse and passionate team that works on varied and international projects directly contributing to saving & changing millions of lives around the globe.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Applications must be submitted by Friday, September 9, 2022 (10:59 PM CET)
WHO WE ARE
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, operating in more than 120 countries and territories, bringing life-saving assistance in emergencies, building pathways to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change and supporting sustainable and resilient livelihoods for a world with zero hunger.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP’s values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
To learn more about WFP, visit our website: UN World Food Programme (WFP) and follow us on social media to keep up with our latest news: YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
WHY JOIN US?
- WFP is a 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
- WFP offers a highly inclusive, diverse, and multicultural working environment
- WFP invests in the personal & professional development of its employees through a range of training, accreditation, coaching, mentorship, and other programs as well as through internal mobility opportunities
- A career path in WFP provides an exciting opportunity to work across the various country, regional and global offices around the world, and with passionate colleagues who work tirelessly to ensure that effective humanitarian assistance reaches millions of people across the globe
- We offer an attractive compensation package (please refer to the Terms and Conditions section)
The World Food Programme (WFP) has been working in Haiti since 1969. WFP works with the Government to build sustainable systems to address the root causes of food insecurity and promote resilience. WFP also stands ready to support the Government and the humanitarian community in case of emergency. To accomplish its mission, WFP has five sub-offices in the country. WFP has been a leading player in the area of digital payments in Haiti. The agency also leads the UN Information Technology working group.
The role is based in our Country Office (CO) at Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Interested applicants should note that this is a non-family duty station and you will not be able to live with your family.
You will report to the Divisional/Regional/Country Director or the designate, under the functional supervision of the Director, Information Technology (IT).
You will provide a range of IT and Telecommunications (TC) activities for a complex CO. You will lead a team of IT staff, and thus must have the technical knowledge and experience required to identify, analyse and resolve complex systems issues, using logical and innovative solutions. You will typically lead and deliver projects, manage major information systems, workstation usage and/or structures/security enhancements or new complex systems, and influence policy development.
To lead the planning and delivery of efficient and effective IT and telecommunication services, providing sound, innovative solutions that enable staff to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
You will manage a team of 6 to 8 people with part dedicated to support the infrastructure and connectivity and a developing part dedicated to develop projects in support of digitization of WFP processes and that of its partner.
As Head of TEC, you will also lead the Emergency Telecom sector and also be responsible for the following:
- Participate in the development of plans, budgets and policies, and lead the design and deployment of IT/TC systems aligned with business needs, in line with WFP corporate standards.
- Plan, design and maintain large IT/TC systems and networks, ensuring appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area network issues; and ensuring users to get maximum benefits from them.
- Identify and test new hardware for improving and upgrading system performance; install any technology upgrades as required.
- Negotiate and manage contracts with service providers, to facilitate procurement of equipment and services at minimum cost, in line with WFP rules and regulations.
- Coordinate reporting on IT/TC activities, investments and costs, identifying trends/issues and presenting clear recommendations to increase cost-efficiency.
- Develop and maintain technical expertise and knowledge of external industry developments to provide leadership in specific technical areas of competence.
- Partner effectively with senior managers to understand their priorities, and provide solutions on all aspects of IT and the delivery of IT services, as well as on strategic and policy issues.
- Lead and motivate a team of IT Officers, monitoring performance, providing coaching, training and guidance to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Plan and lead capability building of staff, collaborating with colleagues in the IT division to design and deliver training policies and programmes aimed at developing skills/knowledge in IT/TC.
- Work in close collaboration with other UN agencies to align activities, conduct negotiations with common vendors, and maximise possibilities of future inter-agency collaborations.
- Form partnerships with colleagues and partner organisations, to foster information exchange, and obtain agreements to help meet WFP’s service requirements.
- Represent WFP at international meetings and conferences, to gather and share best practice, and propose new approaches to improve IT/TC service delivery.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Participate in emergency preparedness and contingency planning, providing technical recommendations and monitoring the management of risks, so that WFP can maintain basic IT services and/or quickly respond and deploy resources to affected areas at the onset of a crisis.
- Lead the preparation of operational plans and manage resource requirements at the onset of an emergency operation.
- Other as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced University degree in Computer Science or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses.
- At least eight years of relevant progressively responsible experience as an IT Operations Officer or similar on issues relevant to the aforementioned organizational context.
- Strong experience working in an emergency or developing country.
- Experience in engaging senior leaders and managing a team.
- Fluency (level C) in the English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or Portuguese (A WFP’s working language)
MORE ABOUT YOU
- Led and coordinated large projects successfully at HQ and field
- Managed, coordinated and actively executed emergency response operations.
- Provided innovative approaches in the resolution of complex technical issues or problems.
- Effectively managed IT team and resources needed for the planning, development and delivery of specified information and communications systems services (including data, voice, text, audio and images) at HQ and field.
- Successfully managed complex IT infrastructure, including the installation and testing of new hardware for improving systems performance at HQ and field.
- Led the design and successful implementation of ITIL service management systems and protocols for handling customer requests and achieving service excellence.
- Experience working in emergency or developing countries and/or situations.
- Experience working in a developing country
- Intermediate level or above fluency in French
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK
These are the common standards of behaviour that guide HOW we work together to accomplish our mission.
|Leads by Example with Integrity||Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments||Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative Teamwork||Applies Strategic Thinking||Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships|
|Lives the WFP values and shows humanity and integrity by role modelling care for others||Delivers on commitments and adapts readily to change||Is inclusive and collaborative, and contributes to a culture of learning and personal growth||Demonstrates commitment to gather perspectives, analyse options and risks, and propose new ways of doing things||Builds and nurtures external partnerships and collaborates with partners to deliver common objectives|
Different expectations of behaviour are defined depending on your grade and role/responsibilities within WFP.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Governance, Strategy and Architecture||Implements improvements to WFP’s IT governance structure, strategy, and procedures by scanning future industry trends, providing clarity on policies and capturing potential opportunities. Ensures compliance with organisational IT policies and procedures and overall information management strategy.|
|Change Implementation, Project Management, Planning and Optimization||Leverages specialized knowledge of change management processes and tools in guiding others to deliver integrated solutions with minimal delays, issues and cost. Takes full responsibility for the definition, documentation and successful completion of complex projects.|
|Technical Expertise||Utilizes expertise in multiple technical domains and understands how all technical aspects fit together and impact the business; Creates a technically expert organization by implementing action plans to build depth of technical expertise across the function.|
|Service Management||Challenges teams to consistently seek higher standards of performance and service delivery; Identifies and manages resources needed for the planning, development and delivery of specified information and communications systems services (including data, voice, text, audio and images).|
|Client Management||Partners with respective business areas in identifying and evaluating new opportunities to proactively improve internal customer satisfaction and ensure high quality technical support across the organization.|
|Procurement and Contract Management||Champions a consistent and effective approach to evaluating technology vendors that works to enhance overall service levels, while ensuring non-discriminatory behaviour and legal compliance; also guides others in building a strong business case involving major IT investments.|
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This is an International Professional position and is open to all nationalities.
- Mobility is and continues to be, a core contractual requirement in WFP.
- The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term as well as a rotational contract with a probationary period of one year.
- WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel, visa and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, a pension plan, and medical insurance. For more information, visit https://icsc.un.org/
- The selected candidate will be required to relocate to Port-au-Prince, Haiti to take up this assignment
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
|Job Category||Information Technology|