Senior Election Advisor – DRC (Consultant)
Program Associate, Arlington
About International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES): IFES advances democracy for a better future. We collaborate with civil society, public institutions, and the private sector to build resilient democracies that deliver for all. Our technical assistance and applied research develop trusted electoral bodies capable of conducting credible elections; effective and accountable governing institutions; civic and political processes in which all people can safely and equally participate; and innovative ways in which technology and data can positively serve elections and democracy. Since 1987, IFES has worked in more than 145 countries, from developing to mature democracies. In accordance with IFES’ approach: A society is able to reach its full potential in a world in which people of all genders are fully engaged as equal partners in their families, workplaces, and communities. Based on international human rights standards and best practices, IFES promotes political participation, justice, and equal rights around the world. IFES reflects these values in its programming and workplace culture.
The greatest assets of IFES are our team members. IFES offers competitive benefits and pays, as well as the opportunity to work in a dynamic and collaborative environment. Every member of the IFES team is responsible for carrying out the mission of IFES and integrating IFES values into their work every day: Commitment to Excellence, Effective Communication, High-Quality Decision-Making, Accountability, Teamwork, and Collaboration.
The Program Associate is the entry-level position to program work at IFES. As a junior member of the team, the Program Associate will provide administrative and programmatic support for current and developing projects.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review and submit travel expense reports (TERs), field project finance reports (FERs), wire transfers, vendor invoices, consultant fees, etc. to the supervisor for approval.
- Input financial data for pipelines, review data in the financial system for accuracy, check the accuracy of financial reports, and review, and reconciliation of credit cards.
- Review/prepare/submit material for procurement including drafting RFP/RFQ, preparing selection packages, tracking existing contracts, writing memos, etc.
- Support recruitment and mobilization of field staff and consultants for field assignments.
- Maintain project records and documents, including consultant contracts, project files etc.
- Conduct basic research and provide general support in proposal development.
- Assist with editing/writing quarterlies and other reports.
- Provide administrative functions in support of the department.
- Plan and expedite airline, hotel, and visa arrangements.
- Provide support during department meetings and special events, and prepare and assemble briefing materials as directed.
- Provide assistance on special projects and assignments.
- Other duties as assigned.
POSITION SCOPE: Provides the support necessary for the project team to achieve its goals. Job duties are fairly straightforward and require following common procedures and guidelines. Manages own workload, time, and priorities, with guidance from supervisor (Program Officer).
DECISION MAKING/PROBLEM SOLVING: Has the knowledge and skills to identify solutions to routine problems. Produces useful ideas or explanations for circumstances but may need guidance on execution for results. Understands and applies policies and proactively suggests solutions and improvements on issues.
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Prepares routine financial reports in compliance with IFES policies and procedures. Processes routine financial transactions in compliance with IFES procedures.
RELATIONSHIPS: Maintains collaborative working relationships with team members and other staff within the Division. Initiates contact with staff in other departments to exchange information and coordinates activities necessary to achieve work goals.
Experience: 0 – 2 years of relevant experience in international development or related field. Internship(s) experience with an international NGO a plus
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Related Skills or Knowledge: Experienced with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint required. Introductory experience in proposal development supports a plus. Familiarity with USAID regulations is helpful. Detailed oriented and organized. Ability to prioritize, take direction, and handle varied tasks within deadlines. Strong communicator, both verbally and in writing. Collaborative, team-oriented individual.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: English required. Proficiency in other languages is a plus.
TRAVEL: Travel may be required, up to 10%.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
What we offer:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Monthly Benefit Allowance paid directly to all employees
- Employer paid life and AD&D insurance at 3x base salary
- 401(k) retirement plan with 1:1 employer match up to 6%
- Employer paid Short and Long Term Disability insurance
- Generous vacation (starting at 3 weeks and increasing with time of service), sick leave, and personal leave
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program