Applications are open for the One Young World Lead2030 challenge for SDG 15. SDG 15 aims to protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems to benefit, now and in future, from this natural ecosystem-service. This Lead2030 Challenge is specifically focussed on SDG 15 targets:
- 15.1: By 2030, combat desertification, restore degraded land and soil, including land affected by desertification, drought and floods, and strive to achieve a land degradation-neutral world.
- 15.2: Promote the implementation of sustainable management of all types of forests, halt deforestation, restore degraded forests and substantially increase afforestation and reforestation.
- 15.3: By 2030, ensure the conservation, restoration and sustainable use of terrestrial and inland freshwater ecosystems and their services, in particular forests, wetlands, mountains and drylands, in line with obligations under international agreements
The project should address at least one of the following:
- Freshwater recycling capacity
- Restoring biodiversity of the ecosystem
- The project should deliver quantifiable results and be a long-term sustainable solution. Ideas with an assessable proof of concept would be preferred.
This challenge seeks solutions which meet the following criteria:
- Aligned: Evidently aligned with the SDG 15 challenge
- Youth-led: Founded by a person aged 18 – 30
- Focused: Well-structured time horizon, identified key stakeholders and beneficiaries, and proposed outcomes that are reasonable and well thought out
- Proven: Readily available, in or past implementation phase
- Impactful: Solutions must have a positive social impact, for example generating employment, or developing skills
- Measurable: Impacts of solutions must have been adequately measured and/or be measurable
- Financially viable: Must be able to achieve efficiency and to survive independently through the resources they generate and/or the investments and donations they attract
- Scalable: Potential to perform as well or better after expanding in scope or size and/or being transported to other regions
The winning solution will receive:
- A $50,000 (US) grant from Novartis
- 12 months of mentorship from a team of Novartis professionals. The mentorship team will work to accelerate your solution based on the needs of your initiative or organisation such as: business strategy, best practices for data collection, monitoring and evaluation and product design
About One Young World
One Young World (OYW) is the premier global forum for young leaders. At the annual Summit, the brightest talent from every country and sector debate and devise innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing issues. They are counselled by influential business, political, and humanitarian leaders such as Paul Polman, Justin Trudeau and Muhammad Yunus, amongst many other global luminaries. The OYW Ambassador community of 10,000 young leaders has collectively impacted 17.5 million people to date.